A Professional limited liability company




Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning

Q. How do I write a will?
A. A Will is an essential estate planning document that establishes your wishes and directs who will receive your property and assets upon your death. A will also gives you the opportunity to designate a guardian for your children, devise gifts and even specify funeral arrangements. Call us to find out more.

 Q. What happens if you die without a will?
A. If you die without a will, your assets will be distributed according to state law. Call us for details on how to protect your wishes.

Q. What is a trust?
A. A trust is an estate planning device that has a “settlor” or “trustor” (creator of trust), a “trustee” (someone that holds property for another person), “trust property” (property that should be properly funded into the trust), and “beneficiaries” (individuals who receive your property).

Q. What happens if I can’t make my own medical decisions?
A. In the unfortunate event that you were unable to participate in your medical or mental health treatment decisions, a patient advocate designation will allow you to designate someone to make medical decisions on your behalf or communicate your premeditated choices regarding life-support.

Q. Can I contest or challenge a will or a trust?
A. Yes, but your ability to challenge probate documents such as a will or a trust depends on a variety of factors. Call us to discuss details.

Q. How do I start a probate case? What forms do I need for a probate case?
A. Contact our office for details on how to start your probate case in Michigan.

Q. Can you help me with a probate litigation matter?
A. Yes, contact our office today to discuss your case.

Intellectual Property

Q. What is a trademark?
A. Simply put, a trademark is a source identifier. It can include any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination, used, or intended to be used, in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from goods manufactured or sold by others, and to indicate the source of the goods. If you want to file your mark with the USPTO, call us today!

Q. What is the difference between a trademark and a patent?
A. A patent protects new and non-obvious inventions whereas trademarks protect branding associated with goods or services. If you need help protecting your trademark, contact us today.

Q. How long does a patent last?
A. In the United States, a utility patent generally is valid for 20 years as measured from the date of the filing of the application - not from the date the patent was granted. (U.S. patents on applications filed before June 8, 1995 previously had provided 17 years of patent protection). Utility patents may expire early if required maintenance fees are not paid. A U.S. design patent has a term of 14 years from the date of the grant for applications filed before May 13, 2015, and 15 years from the date of the grant for applications filed on or after May 13, 2015. Maintenance fees are not required for design patents.

 Q. As a patent owner, do I have to do anything to maintain my patent protection?
A. There are two main components of keeping your patent protected. First, U.S. patent holders are required to pay maintenance fees to the U.S. government to maintain patent validity. These fees must be paid at 3.5 years, 7.5 years and 11.5 years after the patent is issued. The second component is to enforce your rights to stop infringement on your patent. If you want someone to fight for you and your hard work, contact us today!

Q. Someone is using my trademark, what can I do?
A. Call our office today, and let’s discuss your case.

Q. I’m a songwriter and producer, and someone stole my music and is using it for profit, what can I do?
A. You have several options under the law. Call 844-644-LEGAL to find out what we can do for you.


Business and Commercial Litigation

Q. Do I need an attorney to start a business?
A. No, but an attorney can help you to prepare and file the necessary (legally binding) documents with the appropriate legal bodies, draft and review contracts and other legal documents that fit your specific needs, and to ensure compliance with regulations and laws.

Q. Can anyone file a lawsuit?
A. Yes, but winning the lawsuit/litigation is an entirely different matter.  Individuals can file or defend a lawsuit without a lawyer – corporations cannot. If you are looking to file a lawsuit or defend it, call us today at 844-644-LEGAL.

Q. I have a complex business matter involving breach of contract, construction liens and a real estate issue, can you help?
A. Yes, “business” law is our business, call us to schedule a free consultation regarding your case.

Q. Has your firm successfully represented individuals and business entities in the State of Michigan?
A. Absolutely! Call us to discuss how we can help you.

Q. I want to appeal my case to the Court of Appeals, can you help me with that?
A. Yes, please call us to discuss how we can help you.

Q. I have a judgment against me but it’s wrong, I never even knew a complaint had been filed. Can you help me with this type of issue?
A. Yes, depending on the facts and circumstances of your case, you may be able to set aside that judgment and proceed further.

Q. I have a real estate contract dispute that involves a lease, does your office handle that?
A. Yes. Call us to find out more. 

​Divorce and Family Law

Q. On what legal grounds can I get a divorce? 
A. Michigan is a no-fault state, meaning that the divorce does not have to have a guilty party in order to be processed. If no one party is technically at fault for the “breakdown” of the marriage, you can still get a divorce. 

Q. How to file for divorce?
A. In most cases, the filing of a divorce complaint begins the process. It would be best to have an attorney to discuss your questions about divorce. Divorce can be a complex process, and an attorney can help you understand the processes involving marital property, custody of children, visitation and familial support.

Q. I am getting divorced and am worried about custody of my children, what should I do?
A. The “best interests of the child” are at the center of any analysis for child custody. Call us today to discuss your concerns.

Q. I lost my job and I can’t afford my child support, what can I do?
A. You have options under the law. Your loss of employment and/or reduction in hours at work and earning capacity permits you to take action. Please contact our office to discuss your case and your option in Michigan.

Q. I have not received any spousal support payments in months, can you help me?
A. Yes, if your spouse has violated a court order and/or failed to pay spousal and/or child support, contact our office immediately to discuss your case and your options.

Q. I do not agree with the Referee’s Recommendation, what should I do?
A. Contact us at 844-644-LEGAL to discuss your case today.

Immigration/Immigration Defense

Q. Can I sponsor my husband, my wife or my family members?
A. Yes, there are ways within the immigration system to sponsor your relatives.

Q. How long does it take to sponsor someone?
A. The process and processing time(s) to sponsor someone varies. There are several factors that can affect the time it takes. Call us for details.

Q. I want to work in the United States, what can I do?
A. Working in the United States requires the right type of documentation and/or visa/status. Call us to discuss your options.

Q. What is a green card? 
A. Your green card is your proof of permanent lawful residence and gives permission for you to work/live anywhere in the U.S.

Q.  How much does it cost to apply for a green card? 
A. Application fees vary depending on the type of application(s) being filed. You can find detailed information here: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees. These fees do not include attorney fees for your case.

Q. How long do I have to wait to apply for my green card after marriage?
A. “Applying for your green card” is a process that requires the submission of the right applications with the right supporting documents. In most cases, many people begin the process after they are legally married.

Q. How can I get a visa to the United States?
A. There are several types of visas and various requirements for each visa. Contact us via email or phone or discuss details and requirements of each visa category applicable to your situation.

Q. What is a K-1 visa? 
A. A K-1 (fiance) visa is temporary and available to those who live in another country with intentions of getting married within 90 days of their arrival in the United States. 

Q. Am I allowed to work while waiting for my green card? 
A. You may work in the United States while waiting for a green card if you already have a work visa, if not, you will not be permitted to work until you have been approved after filing Form I-765, which is a work permit. 

Q. How can I check the status of my case?
A. In most cases, the simplest way to check the status of your case is through the USCIS website at:  https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Q. My green card expired, what can I do?
A. In most cases, you will need to renew your green card. Call or email usto discuss your options.

Q. A friend of mine is being deported, what are his options?
A. Deportation and immigration defense are complex and time sensitive legal matters. Contact us today to discuss the details of your case.

Q. When can I apply for U.S. Citizenship?
A. Your eligibility to apply for U.S. citizenship depends largely on how long you have been a permanent resident in the United States. Contact us today to discuss the details of your case.

Personal Injury/Serious Injuries

Q. How much is my personal injury case worth?
A. Each case is different. The help of an attorney is an essential tool in determining how much compensation you may be able to receive. When you work with The Shiraz Law Firm, we will quickly analyze your situation and determine what damages you may be entitled to recover.

Q. I was in an accident, what should I do?
A. After you call 911, call us at 1-844-644-LEGAL. Do not wait to take action!

Q. I was rear ended by a commercial truck, can you help?
A. Call us at 1-844-644-LEGAL to discuss your case.

Q. I was severely injured in a car accident and cannot work anymore, what can I do?
A. Call us at 1-844-644-LEGAL and let’s discuss your options, including but not limited to your wage loss and any benefits that you may be entitled to.